Property Taxes


Whether or not you let out your property!

It is a statutory obligation for everyone who owns a property in Spain to complete either:

An annual tax return, usually called a Renta,

(Modelo 100) OR A non-resident tax return (Modelo 210)

If you regularly rent out your Spanish property, you should submit a tax return and you may have to pay income tax on the benefit obtained.

According to Spanish law, unless you complete a Renta every year (usually April/ May for the previous tax year) you are considered to be a non-resident and therefore you must submit a non-resident’s return every year. This is usually payable at the start of every year in respect of the previous calendar year.

This tax is paid to Hacienda (the Spanish Tax Office) every year.

The Spanish Authorities retain records of all property transactions in Spain. They are empowered to investigate cases where no tax return has ever been filed. In such circumstances, the authorities may contact the property owner requesting all the unpaid taxes - plus a substantial fine.

It is also a legal requirement that all property owners who are non-resident appoint a Fiscal Representative in Spain.

Our fiscal representation service includes, not only the preparation and submission of your tax return, to the Spanish tax authorities, but also advice and assistance regarding your individual fiscal status in Spain. You will receive the best advice according to your own personal situation.

Our experts will provide you with the tax information you need for your specific situation.

If you would like to appoint us as your fiscal representatives in Spain, please download the form below.


There are two taxes you generally pay as buyer:

  • For an existing house, you pay a transfer tax 8% (impuesto de transmisiones patrimoniales. For a new construction, you pay a VAT tax 10%.
  • Stamp tax 1,5 % (impuesto de actos jurídicos documentados)

Both taxes may vary depending on where the property is located.

Notary and Property Registry fees

If you are getting a mortgage, the bank requires deposits to cover maximum potential payments. Once the bank pays these fees and you receive your registered escritura, some portion of these payments may be returned.

If you are not getting a mortgage, then the actual numbers will probably be less than shown. Note that with our full Service Conveyancing we handle the administration of payments for you.

contact us or come to our Alicante or Fortuna offices.

About Us

AP Legal Solutions
We are an English speaking Law firm specialising in conveyancing. We have two offices in the Murcia region (Fortuna) and one in Alicante region (Hondon de los Frailes). Our commitment to providing you with the best possible service is what drives us forward.

Recent Tweets

Copyright 2013-2019 AP Legal Solutions specialising in conveyancing in Alicante and Murcia | Legal Information   Back to Top

Back to Top